Rooibos Tea Honey and Lemon Recipe
Many can remember their Ouma or Gogo brewing rooibos tea with honey and lemon to relive sore throats and coughs.
Rooibos tea, which is rich in flavonoids, antioxidants and polyphenols, can do much more for health than just respiratory conditions. According to medical research, benefits extend to Type 2 Diabetes, heart conditions, and even stress reduction.
Here’s how to make it:
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teabag pure rooibos tea
- Three whole cloves (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiled, remove from heat.
- Add the rooibos teabag and the optional cloves.
- Cover and steep for three minutes.
- Remove the teabag and cloves.
- Add the raw honey and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour into a teacup and serve hot.
Benefits of Drinking Rooibos Tea (According to Science)
- Congestive Respiratory Ailments. According to a medical study in 2006, Rooibos tea has confirmed bronchodilator and antispasmodic effects. Along with lowering blood pressure and improving circulation in heart patients, rooibos has a sound basis as a therapy for congestive respiratory ailments according to the study. Symptoms include breathing difficulty, cough, mucus production, and wheezing.